Episode 5 of the Sector
Download the Episode Here
Sector news on funding for big science, the transition from government funding to private funding for the mega-projects of science. Fundraisers who make millions, a sign of a healthy economy or an insult to the cause? We discuss last week’s big question on how successful has the non-profit sector been. Can we measure the success by looking at the changes in poverty levels? And we have a new Big Question as we look at Bill Gates and his article on philanthropy and poverty myths.
- Billionaires With Big Ideas Are Privatizing American Science
- Salaries Up For Top Fundraisers, ‘Defies What Nonprofits Were Created For’: Expert
- Experimental Lakes Area research station officially saved
- Poverty in Canada
- Poverty Trends Scorecard Canada 2012 by Citizens for Public Justice (PDF)
- Poverty via The Canadian Encyclopedia
- Bill Gates: Here’s My Plan to Improve Our World — And How You Can Help
- Bill and Melinda Gates Annual Letter 2014 – Poverty Myths
Big Question of the Week: Do you agree with Bill Gates about the poverty myths – that poor countries doomed to stay poor, that foreign aid is a big waste, that saving lives leads to over population.
Participate in the Big Question: